Zingy Chicken, Sweetcorn & Black Bean Salad
The freshest, zingiest salad about. Leave out the chicken if you’re a veggie.
If your black beans aren’t presoaked, just leave them in a bowl of water overnight so they are soft!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour 20 Minutes
3 Peppers (Red, Orange or Yellow) - £1.00
Red Chillies - £0.60
2 Limes - £0.30
Bunch of Coriander - £0.70
Whole Chicken - £3.50
2 Corn on the Cobs - £1.50
400g Black Beans - £0.75
Cucumber - £0.50
1 Red Onion - £0.17
Total Cost – £9.32 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/ 356°F
2. Place chicken in baking tray. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil, and place into the oven for 80 minutes, or until the skin is golden and the meat is cooked.
3. 35 minutes before the chicken is ready, take both your corn on the cobs. Wrap tightly in tin foil, place in a baking tray, and place in oven.
4. At this point, finely chop your peppers, cucumber and onion into little chunks. Place in a big salad bowl.
5. Remove the chicken from the oven, shred it, and place meat in salad bowl.
6. Remove the corn on the cobs from the oven, cut off the corn kernels, and place them in the salad bowl.
7. Grate in 1 red chilly, and add a large handful of chopped coriander. Squeeze in the juice of 2 limes, and add a drizzle of olive oil. Mix everything together.
8. Scatter your leftover coriander leaves and serve!
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: