Vegetarian. Rich. Healthy. Delicious. The yoghurt gives this dish a sublime creamy
consistency. All for under a tenner, it is the perfect midweek supper.
Fry off the spices with the onions first to intensify their flavour.
COOKING TIME (INCLUDES PREPARATION TIME): 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES
2 Aubergines - £1.30
2 Brown Onions - £0.32
Ginger - £0.27
2 Sweet Potatoes - £0.66
Garlic - £0.30
Spinach - £1.00
Coriander - £0.70
Yeo Valley Yoghurt - £1.50
Cumin - £0.85
Turmeric - £0.85
Cayenne Pepper - £0.85
Chickpeas - £0.50
Chopped Tomatoes - £0.70
Total Cost: £9.80 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Finely chop knob of ginger, three cloves of garlic and your onions. Fry off the ginger and the garlic, adding 3 teaspoons of turmeric, 3 teaspoons of cumin and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
2. Add chopped onions. Allow them to soften.
3. Cube your sweet potatoes and aubergines. Add them to the pan. Coat them in the spices and oil.
4. Add tins of chopped tomatoes. Then, fill both tins with water and add the water. Bring to the boil, then stir and cover with a lid. Leave at a gentle simmer for 45 minutes.
5. After 45 minutes add chickpeas. Put lid back on. Leave for 15 more minutes.
6. Then, add spinach and coriander stalks. Put lid back on for 3 more minutes.
7. Remove curry from the heat.
8. Allow to cool slightly, and then add your yoghurt. This will prevent curdling. Marble the yoghurt through the curry, and then scatter remaining coriander leaves on top.
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: