STUFFED BUTTERNUT SQUASHES
Perfect for the veggies, and leave out the feta if your cooking for a vegan bunch. Apart from some chopping, frying and crumbling, the oven does all the work here. Not much to wash up, and perfect for a wholesome and healthy lunch or dinner.
For this one you get a whole squash each. If you’re hungry, eat the whole thing. If not, save the other half and have it for lunch the next day!
Roast your squashes until they are very soft, which will make it easier to scoop out the filling. Also, leave them to cook for a bit when they first come out the oven so you don’t burn your fingers. Don’t worry, they go back in the oven with the filling, so they won’t be cold!
Seeds – adds some much needed crunch to the dish. A perfect thing to use in any recipe that has lots of soft, squidgy ingredients.
Chopping your courgettes. For this one, you want small pieces which will fit easily into the squashes. So, lay the courgette on its side and chop the whole way down. Then, chop the little discs into quarters. See video for the tekkers.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour
1 Bag of Pumpkin Seeds - £0.85
1 Jar of Pitted Black Olives - £0.75
1 Jar of Sundried tomatoes - £1.75
2 Courgettes - £0.76
1 Bunch of Basil - £0.70
3 Cloves of Garlic - £0.30
Feta - £1.20
4 Butternut Squashes - £3.60
Total Cost - £9.91 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/356ºF.
2. Cut the squashes in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds. Roast for 40 minutes until they are soft.
3. While your squashes are cooking, heat some oil in a frying pan and add 3 cloves of chopped garlic. As it starts to go golden, add the chopped courgettes and sweat until soft and browning.
4. At this point, add the sundried tomatoes, olives and feta, and mix together.
5. Take of heat.
6. Remove the squashes from the oven and scoop out most of the flesh so there is space for the filling.
7. Add the squash flesh to the courgettes and mix everything together.
8. Fill the squashes with the stuffing, and scatter over ¾ of you pumpkin seeds.
9. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
10. Serve with leftover feta, basil and pumpkin seeds.
Shops where this is available for under £10: