Sticky Chinese Chicken Traybake
One tray. So simple. So sticky. So delicious.
The basting is key – it will make the chicken skins extra sticky.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour
1 Whole Broccoli - £0.45
Bunch of Coriander - £0.70
2 Limes - £0.60
100g of Sesame Seeds - £0.85
Chinese Five-Spice - £0.85
8 Chicken Thighs - £3.00
Clear Runny Honey - £0.99
Soy Sauce - £1.30
Spring Onions - £0.49
Total Cost – £9.23 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/ 356°F
2. Place chicken thighs in a tray. Break your broccoli up into bite-size chunks. Add them to the tray.
3. Add two teaspoons of Chinese five-spice, two tablespoons of runny honey, a thumb of grated ginger, a good drizzle of soy sauce (3 tablespoons), a handful of chopped spring onions, 8 slices of lime and a drizzle of olive oil.
4. Mix everything together, making sure chicken thighs are skin side up, and place in oven for 35 minutes.
5. After 35 minutes, remove from oven and baste. Place back in for 10 more minutes.
6. After 10 minutes, baste again.
7. 10 minutes later, baste again, and sprinkle a handful of sesame seeds over the top.
8. Place back in oven for 5 more minutes.
9. Remove the tray from the oven. Add a handful more sesame seeds, a handful of chopped spring onions and a handful of coriander leaves. Squeeze over the juice of a lime and serve!
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: