Spiced Veggie Gyros
Such a fresh summery dish.
The pomegranate seeds at the end provide the perfect cooling bursts of flavour.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 50 minutes
1 Cucumber - £0.50
Garlic - £0.30
Bunch of Mint - £0.70
1 Lemon - £0.30
Pot of Yoghurt - £0.90
Pomegranate Seeds - £1.00
4 Pittas - £0.50
Garam Masala - £0.85
Cayenne Pepper - £0.85
400g Chickpeas - £0.50
1 Red Onion - £0.17
3 Courgettes - £1.13
2 Peppers (Not Green) - £1.00
1 Cauliflower - £1.00
Total Cost - £9.70 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
2. Finely chop courgettes, red onion and pepper into bitesize pieces. Break cauliflower up into little florets. Place into a baking tray. Pour in a tin of chickpeas, with some of the starchy water. Pour over a good glug of olive oil, add two heaped teaspoons of cayenne pepper, two heaped teaspoons of garam masala, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and mix everything together. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
3. Tzatziki time. Pour pot of yoghurt into bowl. Add a small bunch of finely chopped mint, the juice of one lemon, and one grated cucumber. Grate in a clove of garlic, season well and mix it all together.
4. After 30 minutes, remove vegetables from oven, mix them about, and then place back in oven for 15 more minutes.
5. Assembly time. Take a warm pitta. Load it with your spiced vegetables, then tzatziki, then some pomegranate seeds, then some more vegetables, more tzatziki, more pomegranate seeds, and TUCK IN!