SLOW ROAST PORK BELLY WITH CARAMELISED APPLES AND MUSTARD MASH
The perfect Sunday Roast.
The crackliest crackling you’ll ever eat.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 3 Hours
Red Apples - £1.10
Butter - £1.09
1 Pint of Milk - £0.58
Potatoes - £1.00
Wholegrain Mustard - £0.55
1 Bunch of Thyme - £0.70
Pork Belly - £5.00
Total Cost – £9.97 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F
2. Score your belly. Cover the skin in salt. Leave for 5 minutes, then dab it. This will draw out the moisture and make the crackling cracklier. Add 3 quartered apples and lots of thyme. Drizzle in olive oil and pepper it.
3. Whack it in the oven for three hours.
4. Half an hour before the end, cut your potatoes into small pieces and boil until soft. Drain, and then add a big knob of butter, 4 heaped teaspoons of mustard, a large cup of milk, salt and pepper. Mash hard. Keep adding milk until it is a creamy consistency.
5. 20 minutes before the pork is done, add two more quartered apples.
6. At the end of the three hours, if there are parts of the skin that are perfectly crackling, turn on the grill place the pork belly under it for 1 minute. But be careful not to burn it!
7. Take out the pork and crave into slices. Serve with the mash and caramelised apples, and a sprinkling of fresh thyme over the top.
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: