Roasted Pepper and Chorizo Orzo
Give orzo a go, you’ll never look back.
Make sure you chorizo is nice and crispy before adding the garlic and chillies.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 30 Minutes
Bunch of Parsley - £0.70
Bunch of Basil - £0.70
Red Chillies - £0.60
Garlic - £0.30
4 Peppers (NOT GREEN) - £2.00
Cherry Tomatoes - £0.90
500g of Passata - £0.50
500g of Orzo - £1.70
225g of Chorizo - £2.00
Total Cost – £9.40 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/356°F
2. Chop your peppers into small squares, and place into a baking tray. Add your cherry tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil, and place tray in oven for 25 minutes.
3. Chop your chorizo into small chunks, and finely slice 2 cloves of garlic and 1 whole red chilly.
4. Place chorizo into a large pan, and fry until it starts to go crisp (3-4 minutes). Then add the chilly and the garlic. Once the garlic has softened (1—2 minutes) add your passata and 400ml of water.
5. Bring to the boil, and then turn down to a medium heat. Allow it to simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally so the orzo doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
6. After 12 minutes, the orzo should be al dente. Perfect. If it needs a bit more time, give it a couple more minutes.
7. Once the orzo is cooked, stir in your roasted vegetables and a handful of chopped parsley.
8. Remove from the hit, and serve with a handful of fresh basil leaves scattered on top.
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: