Ricotta & Parmesan Stuffed Chicken Breasts
One to impress. Perfect for a date night or a dinner party. These stuffed chicken breasts are delicious and, despite the cheesy filling, very light. The ricotta works perfectly.
Don’t stuff your breasts too full or else the filling may fall out.
Adding stock into your spelt once it has been cooked and drained. Such a good trick; it makes it more flavourful and rich and all you have to do is crumble in the cube. Easy.
Spelt. It is such a healthy grain, give it a go. It tastes as good as pasta, but is also packed with much higher levels of protein and fiber. It is great for digestion and lowering cholesterol!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 40 – 45 Minutes
1 Cube of Chicken Stock - £0.30
1 Bag of Grated Parmesan - £1.30
1 Bag of Cherry Tomatoes - £0.90
1 Bunch of Basil - £0.70
4 Chicken Breasts - £4.00
Ricotta - £1.20
500 Grams of Spelt - £1.60
Total Cost - £10.00 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC/338ºF.
2. Mix together the ricotta, grated parmesan, chopped basil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. Slice a pocket into each breast, ready to take the filling.
4. Stuff the breasts and try and ensure that the filling is inside the chicken.
5. Heat some oil in a frying pan. Add chicken breasts. Fry for 3 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, and turn the breasts over for 3 minutes on the other side. Jiggling the tomatoes about so they cook evenly.
6. Take the pan off the heat, and put into your oven for 15 minutes so the chicken can cook through.
7. Now for the spelt. Pour it into a pan of boiling water. Salt the water. Boil for 15 – 20 minutes, or however long it says it takes on the back of your spelt packet.
8. Once the spelt is soft, take it off heat. Drain it, and then crumble two stock cubes into pan. Mix well.
9. Take the chicken out of the oven. Serve with the spelt and tear over any leftover basil, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Shops where this is available for under £10: