Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Makes 8 Pancakes
100g Spring Onions - £0.49
Soy Sauce - £1.19
Fresh Red Chillies - £0.60
A Bunch of Coriander - £0.70
400g Spinach - £2.00
1 Lemon - £0.30
Knob of Ginger - £0.54
3 Sweet Potatoes - £1.05
500g Plain Flour - £0.40
1 Pint of Whole Milk - £0.45
6 Large Eggs - £1.25
Total Cost – £8.97
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/356°F.
2. Place sweet potatoes in baking tray. Cover in salt, pepper and olive oil. Bake for 50 minutes.
3. When the potatoes are soft, take them out the oven. Take out the flesh, and place into a separate bowl. Take ¾ of your coriander and finely chop it. Add it to the sweet potato and mash together, with 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.
4. Now for the spinach. Place it into a frying pan over a medium heat. Add some salt and pepper, and moved it around with a wooden spoon until it has wilted (1 – 2 minutes). Set the wilted spinach aside.
5. NOW FOR THE PANCAKE BATTER. Place 100g of plain flour, 2 large eggs, 200ml of whole milk and 100ml of cold water into a bowl. Beat it all together until there are no lumps of flour. Add one finely chopped red chilli, 5 chopped spring onions and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. Also grate in a thumb sized knob of ginger.
6. Place a frying pan on a medium to high heat. Then, pour in some olive oil (a couple of teaspoons). Ladle in the first helping of pancake mix. It should cover the base of pan but be quite thin.
7. Give it 1-2 minutes on each side, but just check with a spatula to see when the underside is cooked.
8. Once cooked, spoon on some of the sweet potato mash and some wilted spinach. Scatter some coriander leaves and some chopped spring onion over the top, and a pour on a few more drops of soy sauce. Sprinkle over some drops of lemon juice and you're there! Finito!