Mexican Style Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
The most satisfying vegetarian meal you’ll ever eat. Guaranteed.
The black beans – try and buy them pre soaked. If you can only find the dried ones though, just leave them to soak overnight.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour
Small Block of Cheddar - £1.00
400g Black Beans - £0.75
4 Sweet Potatoes - £1.20
2 Large Avocados - £1.80
2 Peppers (Not Green) - £0.90
Bunch of Coriander - £0.70
1 Lime - £0.30
Bunch of Spring Onions - £0.49
Cumin - £0.85
Paprika - £0.85
Red Chillies - £0.60
1 Brown Onion - £0.16
Garlic - £0.30
Total Cost - £9.90 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
2. Drizzle sweet potatoes in olive oil, salt and a small handful of chilli flakes (optional).
3. Bake sweet potatoes for 50 minutes or until soft until soft.
4. While potatoes are in oven, sort the guac. Scoop flesh out of two avocados. Add to bowl. Add a handful of chopped coriander, the juice of a lime, a finely chopped red chilli, some salt, pepper and olive oil. Mash.
5. Chilli time. Finely chop 1 onion and 2 peppers.
6. In a pan, add a splash of olive oil. Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic, 2 teaspoons of cumin, and 2 teaspoons of paprika. Once the garlic has softened (1 minute) add the peppers and onion. Fry until soft, on a medium to low heat. Add a bit of water if it starts catching on the pan. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
7. Once softened, add your black beans. Mash everything together.
8. Remove your sweet potatoes from the oven. Scoop of the flesh, and save the skins. Add the flesh to the black bean chilli. Mix everything together.
9. Assembly time. Re-stuff the skins with the chilli. Add a big dollop of guac. Top with a generous grating of cheddar, and garnish with any leftover spring onions, red chillies and coriander. Enjoy!