Carbonara done properly. No f**king cream!
Good ingredients are key here. Make sure you get smoked streaky bacon. NOT pancetta. Pancetta is too thin. Get proper parmesan too. In a block. Not preshaved. And the eggs. Get big ones. I have budgeted to make sure you can do this and still keep it under £10!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 20 Minutes
200g Block of Parmesan - £2.00
300g Smoked Streaky Bacon - £2.00
Garlic - £0.30
6 Eggs - £1.00
500g Linguini - £0.59
Total Cost – £6.59 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Take a bowl, and grate in ¾ of your parmesan. Then add 6 egg yolks, and a very, very generous amount of black pepper, 4 or 5 pinches of it. A good Carbonara is meant to be peppery – hence the name, CARBONara.
2. Whisk everything together and set aside.
3. Chop your bacon into little bits, and add to a frying pan.
4. As they begin to start browning, add your linguine to a pan of boiling water. Salt the boiling water – Pasta water is meant to be almost as salty as the sea!
5. Once the bacon is crisp, add 2 cloves of sliced garlic.
6. Allow these to soften – if the garlic or bacon looks like it is catching on a pan, add small spoons of the starchy pasta water.
7. When the pasta is 1 minute before being ready – so still quite al dente, take out 5 or 6 ladles of the pasta water and pour it into a bowl. Set this bowl aside.
8. Drain the pasta, and the pour the pasta into the pan with the bacon and the garlic. Add a couple ladles of the pasta water, and cooking everything together over a medium heat. Once the water has dissolved and the pasta is nice and silky, take everything off the heat.
9. Allow to cool down for 1 minute, and then add the egg and parmesan mixture, and another ladle of the water. Mix everything together. If it looks too thick, add a bit more water. It should be silky smooth!
10. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan and twist or two more of black pepper!
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: