Healthy Chicken Gyros with Fresh Tzatziki
Spicy chicken in warm pittas, with a fresh tomato salsa and the perfect cooling tzatziki.
It couldn’t be easier to make this Greek classic. And it’s all for under a tenner. What’s not to love?
Make sure you give your grated a cucumber a good squeeze before adding to the yoghurt. This way, you won’t have a watery tzatziki.
COOKING TIME (INCLUDES PREPARATION TIME): 45 MINUTES
Red Chillies - £0.60
Iceberg Lettuce - £0.40
Dried Oregano - £0.70
Tomatoes - £1.00
Mint - £0.70
2 Lemons - £0.70
1 Cucumber - £0.45
Yeo Valley Yoghurt - £1.50
Pittas - £0.50
Garlic - £0.30
8 Chicken Thighs - £3.00
Total Cost: £9.85 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Dice chicken into small chunks. Add to bowl. Grate 3 cloves of garlic and 1 red chilli into the bowl. Add three teaspoons of oregano. Add the zest of one lemon. Add 3 tablespoons of yoghurt. Add salt and pepper. Rub together and cover with cling film. Leave in fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Tzatziki time. Pour rest of yoghurt into another bowl. Add a small bunch of finely chopped mint, the juice of one lemon, and one grated cucumber. Season well and mix it all together.
3. Tomato salsa. Finely chop 5 tomatoes. Add to bowl with 2 or 3 teaspoons of oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil.
4. Finely chop your lettuce.
5. Put a griddle pan on a medium to high heat. Once it is hot, add your chicken. It needs 3 minutes on each side.
6. Warm some pittas.
7. Assemble to gyros and tuck in.
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: