Halloumi & Roast Veg Pitta Pockets
I challenge you to find a more delicious vegetarian recipe.
Try whole meal pittas for a healthy switch.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 45 Minutes
1 Aubergine - £0.70
70g Rocket - £0.89
Bunch of Basil - £0.70
2 Courgettes - £0.76
6 Pittas - £0.50
4 Peppers (Red, Orange or Yellow. NOT Green.) - £2.00
500g of Halloumi - £4.00
Total Cost – £9.55 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/ 356°F
2. Slice your aubergine into discs. Cut your courgette into strips. De-seed peppers, and cut them into thirds (you want nice big pieces).
3. Place chopped vegetables in a baking tray. Add salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix together, and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, remove from oven, mix everything around, and place back into oven for 10 minutes or until everything is very soft.
5. Cut Halloumi into thick slices. Place slices on a griddle pan for 3 minutes each side.
6. While halloumi is grilling, make your basil dressing. Chop a large handful of basil and place in a jar with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, some salt and some pepper. Put the lid on and shake it about.
7. Take your vegetables out the oven and pour over the dressing, saving a bit to drizzle over the pittas at the end. Mix the vegetables about.
8. Warm up your pittas, and then cut them in half to form a little pocket.
9. Fill the pitta pocket with your grilled vegetables, a slice or two of halloumi and a small handful of rocket. Drizzle over a small amount of the leftover dressing and tuck in!
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: