Green Eggs and Ham
Healthiest breakfast you’ll eat in 2017.
The herbs are key here – mint and parsley really freshen everything up. Also make sure you get petit pois, not normal garden peas. I have budgeted so that you can do this and still come in at under £10.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 25 Minutes
250g Asparagus - £1.50
1Kg Petit Pois - £1.50
8 Eggs - £1.50
Bunch of Mint - £0.70
Bunch of Parsley - £0.70
Garlic - £0.30
3 Big Handfuls of Kale - £1.00
3 Big Handfuls of Spinach - £1.00
Parma Ham - £1.40
Total Cost – £9.60 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Finely chop 2 garlic cloves, and chop your asparagus into 2cm long pieces.
2. Place garlic and asparagus into a big frying pan with some olive oil. Allow to soften (1-2 minutes) and then add your kale. Pour in a small glass of water, and allow kale to soften (1-2 minutes).
3. Once softened, add the spinach. Allow to wilt, and then add a handful of chopped parsley and a handful of chopped mint. Add 3 - 4 cups of defrosted petit pois.
4. Mix together, and then, with a spoon, make 8 little wells in the green mixture and add your eggs. Do this carefully so the yolks don’t break.
5. Pop the lid on, and leave the eggs to steam for 12 minutes, or until the white is hardened and the yolks are still soft.
6. Remove from the heat, and then drape your Parma ham over the top. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a twist of salt and pepper and any left over mint and parsley leaves. Enjoy!
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: