GOat's cheese stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
One for the veggies. One for the ‘shroom lovers. Perfect as the winter evenings draw in. To cook it, all you have to do is stuff your mushrooms, whack ‘em in the oven, and boil the bulgur wheat. Easy.
Bulgur wheat – a great alternative to rice or potatoes.
Crumbling stock cubes into bulgur wheat, couscous or any other grain makes the dish much more rich and flavourful.
Don’t forget to put your rocket on top, like we did in the video! It gives it a lovely fresh hit!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 55 Minutes
1 Bag of Rocket - £1.00
1 Lemon - £0.35
4 Clove of Garlic - £0.30
1 Goats Cheese - £1.50
8 Portobello Mushrooms - £4.00
1 Chicken Stock Cube (or use veggie stock) - £0.30
1 Jar of Herbes de Provence - £0.70
500 Grams of Bulgur Wheat - £1.10
Total Cost - £9.25 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
2. Load up mushrooms with 2-3 slices of garlic garlic, a couple of dollops of goats cheese and a sprinkling of Herbes de Provence
3. Place mushrooms in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browning, and the mushrooms are all shriveled.
4. Cook bulgur wheat. Normally, its 1 part Bulgur wheat to 3 parts boiling water, and it takes around 7 minutes to cook. But check the back of your packed and it should have directions there.
5. Once the water has been absorbed, give the bulgur wheat a rinse, put it back in the pan and crumble in 1 or 2 chicken or vegetable stock cubes.
6. Serve mushrooms on top of bulgur wheat. Squeeze lemon juice over the top at the end and add rocket.
Shops where this is available for under £10: