A slow, rich ragu. Perfect to impress at a dinner party. Very simple to do – just fry off the veg, pop in the meat, the wine and the tomatoes, and leave to stew for an hour and a half. When it’s time for dinner, just lift of the lid and pour it over your gnocchi. Easy.
Cooking a ragu isn’t an exact science. If you leave it cooking for longer, no biggie. Similarly, if you only have an hour to do this, all will be fine! The main point, though – the longer you leave it, the tenderer it will be. Just make sure to add a splash of water hear of there if it begins to look like a bit “liquidless.”
The water you cook your gnocchi or pasta in should always be as salty. That’s how they get the pasta in restaurants to taste so good.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 2 Hours
250 Grams of Pork Mince - £2.00
250 Grams of Beef Mince - £2.50
187ml of Red Wine - £1.30
1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes - £0.35
500 Grams of Gnocchi - £0.70
1 Pack of Grated Parmesan - £1.30
3 Bay Leaves - £0.70
1 Brown Onion - £0.14
2 Sticks of Celery - £0.49
2 Carrots - £0.12
3 Cloves of Garlic - £0.30
Total Cost - £9.90 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic and gently fry for 1 minute. Then add the chopped carrots, onions and celery. Chop your veg as finely as possible.
2. Fry until the vegetables have softened, and then add the pork and the beef mince.
3. Once the mince has browned, add the red wine.
4. Cook for 2 minutes, allowing the alcohol to evaporate, and then add the tomatoes and the bay leaf. Bring to the boil, give it a good mix, and then turn the heat down to a very gentle simmer, pop the lid on and cook for 90 minutes.
5. 5 Minutes before you take the ragu off the heat and pop the gnocchi into some salted boiling water. The gnocchi is ready when they start floating.
6. Serve with ragu on top of gnocchi – and a sprinkling of parmesan on top.
Shops where this is available for under £10: