Gianmarco's Porcini Risotto
A perfect, delicious, oozy risotto. The ultimate comfort dish.
Top it off with some grilled chestnut mushrooms – it works a treat.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 50 Minutes
Celery - £0.55
Vegetable Stock Cubes - £0.30
Salted Butter - £1.09
Bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley - £0.70
100g of Parmesan - £2.00
40g Dried Porcini Mushrooms
250g Chestnut Mushrooms - £1.00
1 Brown Onion - £0.16
500g Risotto Rice (Arborio or Carnaroli) - £1.10
Total Cost – £9.89 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Place your porcini mushrooms in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow the mushrooms to soften. You will use the boiling water as stock.
2. While the porcini mushrooms are softening, finely chop 3 celery sticks and 1 onion. As finely as you can.
3. Put the vegetables in a deep pan, with a splash of olive oil, and fry gently until they begin to soften.
4. At this point, pour in 440g of risotto rice. Coat the rice in the oil and vegetables, and leave to fry for 30 more seconds.
5. Remove the porcini mushrooms from the water. You should be left with a delicious, dark porcini stock. This won’t be enough for the risotto, though. So in another jug, add a vegetable stock cube to some boiling water.
6. Once the rice has been in the pan with the celery and onion for 1 minute, start adding stock. This is a GRADUAL process, so go slowly. Add a ladle of stock. Once it is absorbed, add more. Keep bashing the rice about with a wooden spoon to release the starch.
7. Keep this process going until the rice is al dente (almost cooked). At this point, add the porcini mushrooms, mix everything together, and place a lid on the pan. Remove from the heat and allow to rest.
8. While the risotto rests, slice your chestnut mushrooms and put in a griddle pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until the mushrooms are dehydrated and brown. Remove them from the heat.
9. Final step! Add a big knob of butter to the risotto and mix it in. Add ¾ of your grated parmesan, a large handful of chopped parsley and mix it in. To finish, scatter over your leftover parsley leaves, parmesan and a drizzle of olive. Buon Appetito!
SHOPS WHERE THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER £10: