CRISPY CHICKEN TRAY BAKE
Probably the easiest thing you’ll ever cook. We could almost put a guarantee on that. You just chop up your ingredients and chuck them into a baking tray. Drizzle over some salt, pepper and olive, and whack it in the oven. Done and dusted. One pan to wash up. So, so simple.
Buy your thighs with the bone in – they taste so, so much better.
We budgeted this recipe so you have enough to go for the good olives – make sure you choose kalamata ones!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour 20 Minutes
1 Red Chilli - £0.60
2 Packs of Cherry Tomatoes - £1.58
1 Bunch of Basil - £0.70
2 Bulbs of Garlic - £0.60
8 Chicken Thighs (bones in) - £3.00
1 Loaf of Ciabatta - £1.50
1 Jar of Kalamata Olives - £1.89
Total Cost: 9.87 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find out which shops you can buy all of the ingredients from for under £10.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
2. De-seed the chilli (leave them in if you like the spice) and chop it up. Chop the basil. Take cloves of garlic out the bulbs. Don’t chop the cloves, leave them whole. Pierce the tomatoes. Don’t halve them. Tear ciabatta into crouton sized chunks.
3. Whack all into one tray, with the chicken thighs. Mix around, adding salt, pepper and olive oil. Make sure the thighs are skin side up, and put the tray into the oven.
4. After 35 minutes, give the tray a shake and mix everything about. Try and coat the crispy bits in the juices in the bottom of the tray. Don’t worry; it will all go crispy again!
5. Put back into the oven for 15 more minutes, or until everything is golden and crispy. Serve in the same oven tray, and drop your remaining basil leaves on top.
Shops where this is available for under £10: