Chicken Satay Salad
Chicken marinated in coconut. With a creamy peanut butter dressing. On a crunchy fresh salad. What more could you want?
Make sure you buy salted peanuts to sprinkle on top for some extra crunch.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 25 minutes
1 Tin Coconut Milk - £0.75
Cucumber - £0.50
Bag of Salted Peanuts - £0.48
2 Limes - £0.50
Bunch of Coriander - £0.70
Romaine Lettuce - £1.00
Soy Sauce - £1.00
Clear Honey - £0.99
Ginger - £0.27
Peanut Butter - £0.65
8 Skinless Chicken Thighs - £2.50
Red Chilli - £0.60
Total Cost - £9.94 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
1. Dice chicken thighs into little chunks. Throw in bowl. Grate in a red chilli, 1 clove of garlic and a large knob of ginger. Add two tablespoons of honey, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and half a can of coconut milk. Add a splash of olive oil and mix everything together. Cover, and leave in fridge for 10 minutes to marinate.
2. Make your dressing. Into a bowl, add three tablespoons of peanut butter, the juice of a lime and a tablespoon of soy sauce. Add coconut milk, and keep mixing and adding coconut milk until you have a smooth, pouring consistency.
3. Now for the salad. Chop your romaine lettuce into bitsize pieces. Add into a bowl, with a handful of chopped coriander, and 1 whole chopped cucumber. With the cucumber – peel off the skin, and then chop it in half length ways. Take a teaspoon, and scoop out the seeds – this will make it less watery. Then chop the cucumber into chunks. Set the salad bowl aside.
4. Chicken time. In, fry your chicken in batches until its cooked through and sticky – pour all of the marinating juices into the pan while cooking.
5. Assembly time. Place the chicken on top of the salad. Add any leftover red chilli (if you like it spicy) and coriander. Scatter a large handful of chopped peanuts over the top, and then pour your peanut butter dressing over everything. Mix together and serve! Enjoy!