Cajun Cornflake Chicken
Sack off KFC and give this a go. Baked not fried – so it’s a healthy crunch.
Could add some garlic to the mayo if you like a garlic mayo. You would still be under a tenner!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 50 Minutes
1 Lemon - £0.35
1 Pot of Mayo - £0.75
2 Large Sweet Potatos - £0.70
1 Box of Cornflakes - £0.94
3 Eggs - £0.89
1 Pot of Runny Honey - £0.99
1 Jar Cajun Seasoning - £0.90
4 Chicken Breasts - £4.00
Total Cost - £9.52 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
2. Cut your sweet potatoes into chips. Place in a baking tray. Sprinkle over two teaspoons of Cajun seasoning, some salt and some pepper. Give the potatoes a good drizzle of olive oil, mix them about and whack them in the oven for 40 minutes.
3. Chicken time. Cut your breasts into strips. Take out three bowls and line them up. In the first, add your Cajun seasoning. In the second crack in 3 eggs. Add 2 tablespoons of honey to the eggs, some salt and some pepper, and whisk them up. Fill the third bowl with cornflakes.
4. Deal with the strips one by one. Firstly, dunk the strip into the Cajun seasoning. Then coat it in egg mixture, and then roll it in cornflakes, making sure you stick the flakes to all areas of the strips.
5. Lay the strips on a baking tray, and place them in the oven for 30 minutes or until they are cooked through.
6. While the chicken and the chips are cooking, make your lemony mayo. Squeeze your mayo into a bowl. Grate in the zest of a lemon, squeeze in the juice, season with salt and pepper, and mix everything together.
7. Once cooked, remove chicken and chips from oven, arrange on a board and serve with the mayo. Enjoy!