This one is a treat. Perfect for when the fam or friends are coming over to chill in the garden.
Leave a few hours for this so you give the meringues enough time to cool.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 4 Hours
- 400g Strawberries - £2.00
- 200g Raspberries - £2.31
- Block of Dark Chocolate - £1.00
- 8 Medium Eggs - £1.00
- 400g Sugar - £0.69
- 2 x Elmlea Double Cream Alternative 284ml – £2.20
- Bunch of Mint - £0.70
- Total Cost - £9.90 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat oven to 120°C/248°F.
- Crack 8 eggs into a large mixing bowl (remove yolks, you just need the whites). Whisk with an electric whisk until you get soft white peaks.
- At this point, gradually whisk in 350g white sugar. Once you have whisked this all in, you should have shiny, white stiff peaks.
- Get three baking trays. Add tiny blobs of meringue to each one, and then add baking paper on top – the meringue will make the paper to stick to the tray.
- Divide your meringue mix in to three. Add a third to each tray and smooth in to equal discs – you want each dish to be about 4cm thick. The most important thing, though, is that they are even. Smooth two of the discs on top, and with the third, make little peaks with a spoon. This will be the top layer.
- Add the meringues to the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- When meringues are cooked through, remove from oven. Place them in a safe place and allow to cool for 2 hours.
- Elmlea time. Add your Elmlea to a bowl. Whisk until beginning to firm up, but not so it is fully whipped. At this point, add a handful of chopped mint and a heaped tablespoon of sugar. Fold it through.
- Chop your strawberries into thirds.
- Assembly time. Take a nice cake dish. Add a meringue layer. Top with a thick layer of cream. Top with your strawberries. Then add another meringue layer. Top with more cream, and then add a layer of raspberries. Grate some dark chocolate on top of the raspberries. Top with your final meringue layer. Grate some more chocolate on top, and then slice it up and serve. Enjoy!