Such a delicious dish. And a great way to use up any leftover pepper!
Try the tofu at the end. If it is too sugary, add a bit more pepper. If it is too peppery, add a bit more sugar. Get that balance right.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 50 Minutes
- 2 x 280g Naked Tofoo - £4.00
- 2 Tablespoons Black Peppercorns (crushed) - Included in MOB Kitchen ingredients.
- 2 Tablespoons White Sugar - £0.80
- Large Knob Chopped Ginger - £0.18
- 2 Garlic Cloves - £0.30
- 4 Spring Onions - £0.50
- 1 White Onion - £0.16
- 5 Tablespoons of Butter - £1.00
- 1 Red Chilli - £0.50
- 400g Basmati Rice - £0.60
- Cornflour - £0.50
- 5 Tablespoons Dark Soy Sauce - £0.60
- 5 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce - £0.60
- Total Cost - £9.75. This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Chop tofu into cubes. Coat in cornflour.
- Add some vegetable oil to a wok. Fry the tofu until browned. Remove from wok.
- Get your rice on (follow pack instructions).
- Clean wok. Place on heat. Add a splash of oil. Add 4 tablespoons of butter, along with your onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until soft. At this point, add your peppercorns and sugar. Stir them in. Once the sugar has dissolved, add your soy sauce.
- Stir it all together, and then add 1 chopped red chilli and 3 chopped spring onions. Stir, and then re-add your tofu. Mix it in, add 1 more tablespoon of butter, allowing it to melt, and then remove from the heat.
- Serve the tofu on top of a mound of steaming rice, garnish with chopped spring onion and enjoy!