A quick, easy, fresh curry. Sack off the takeaway and go for this. It’s a winner.
Make sure you bubble the curry down until it is nice and thick.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 40 Minutes
- Caramom Pods - £0.85
- Turmeric - £0.85
- Garam Masala - £0.85
- Chilli Powder - £0.85
- 8 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs - £2.70
- 2 Tins of Tomatoes - £0.80
- Tomato Purée - £0.47
- 1 Green Chilli - £0.72
- 2 Brown Onions - £0.20
- Garlic - £0.30
- Knob of Ginger - £0.18
- 400g Basmati Rice - £0.60
- Total Cost - £9.27 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Add 2 teaspoons of garam masala, 2 teaspoons of chilli powder, a teaspoon of turmeric and 6 crushed cardamom pods to a wide set frying pan with a splash of oil. Cook for a minute on a medium heat to toast the spices.
- At this point, add 2 crushed cloves of garlic and a large knob of grated ginger.
- Stir them in, and then add 2 finely chopped onions. Coat the onions in the spices, and then add your chicken thighs.
- Cook the thighs for 4-5 minutes until nicely browned, and then add a heaped tablespoon of tomato paste. Stir it in, and then add 2 tins of plum tomatoes. Break them up with a spoon, bring the curry to a boil and then turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Get your rice on – follow pack instructions.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add a chopped green chilli, salt and pepper.
- When the curry is nice and thick, remove from the heat. Serve over steaming rice and enjoy!