Changing the Mac & Cheese game forever.
Make sure the chorizo is nice and crispy before taking it out of the pan
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 250g Chorizo - £2.35
- 3 Red Peppers - £1.20
- 200g Manchego - £2.00
- 300g Cheddar - £2.00
- 500g Macaroni - £0.50
- Bunch of Rosemary - £0.70
- 1 Pint Whole Milk - £0.40
- Plain Flour - £0.45
- Total Cost – £9.60 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/356°F
- Add your peppers to a roasting tray and cook for 45 minutes in the oven, until charred and soft.
- Remove peppers from oven. Allow to cool. Peel off skins and remove seeds. Add 2 of the peppers to a blender with a pint of milk and a good grinding of pepper. Blitz until smooth.
- Crumble your chorizo in to a pan with a splash of olive oil. Cook until crispy, adding a small handful of rosemary after 5 minutes. Once crispy, remove rosemary and chorizo from the pan and set aside.
- Get your macaroni on (cook for 10 minutes in salted boiling water)
- Add 2 tablespoons of plain flour to the chorizo fat and whisk it in. Start slowly adding the blended pepper mix, whisking as you do this. You should end up with a nice thick red sauce.
- Then add 300g grated cheddar and 200g grate manchego. Mix it in until smooth.
- Once the cheese is melted, add your macaroni. Stir it in, and then add the crispy chorizo. Slice up your remaining roasted pepper and add that.
- Stir everything together, and then top it with any leftover cheddar and manchego. Whack the mac and cheese under the grill from 10 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove from oven, spoon in to bowls and enjoy!