An absolute picnic winner.
Make sure you leave something heavy on the sandwich overnight so it presses down properly.
- 3 Courgettes - £1.00
- 5 Peppers - £1.52
- 2 Balls of Mozzarella - £0.94
- 200g Kalamata Olives - £1.89
- 12 Slices Salami - £1.70
- 1 Jar Pesto - £1.00
- 4 Tomatoes - £0.70
- 1 Nice Loaf - £1.05
- Total Cost: £9.80
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Add peppers to tray. Drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Add to oven for 45 minutes until soft.
- Finely slice courgettes. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Heat a griddle pan. Add slices to pan and cook until you have nice char marks on either side.
- Remove peppers from oven. De-seed and drain excess water.
- Slice up your tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Pour your olives onto a tray. Run your knife through them and chop them up until you have a rough olive paste.
- Take your loaf. Cut off the top. Remove all of the bread filling (save for breadcrumbs).
- Layering time. First up, spoon in your pesto so it covers the base. Then add your peppers, making sure you press them in to the sides. Then add your mozzarella, and then your grilled courgette slices. Pat each layer down so it is flat and compressed.
- Then add your tomato slices. Top the tomato slices with your Kalamata olives, and then place the lid on the loaf.
- Wrap the loaf tightly in cling film. Put it in the fridge, and add a couple of pots on top of the sandwich to press it down.
- Leave overnight.
- After 12 hours, unwrap sandwich. Carve it up and enjoy!