The ultimate cheese toastie.
Make sure you cook the toasties in the pan until they are deep brown and crunchy.
- Chillies Flakes - £0.85
- Garlic - £0.30
- Bunch of Rosemary - £0.70
- Bunch of Thyme - £0.70
- Salted Butter - £1.60
- Sourdough Loaf - £1.60
- 320g Wyke Farms Mature Cheddar - £2.50
- 300g Flat Mushrooms - £1.00
- Full Price - £9.25 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Cut mushrooms in to slices. Add to a pan with a knob of butter. Fry until deep brown. Add this point, add a tablespoon of butter in to the pan. Add a small handful of thyme leaves, rosemary leaves and 1 crushed garlic clove. Add a teaspoon of chilli flakes.
- Mix everything together, and cook down until the mushrooms are very dark and caramelized. Remove them from the pan, and leave the pan on the hob, heat off. You’re going to use it in a bit.
- Slice up your sourdough so you have 8 big slices. Spread butter on to 4 of them. Then grate a thick layer of cheddar on to each slice. Then add your mushrooms. Then grate over another layer. Butter your remaining 4 slices and place them on top of the sandwiches.
- Add a tablespoon of butter in to your mushroom pan. Once melted, add in your sandwiches. Give them a press. Cook for 4 minutes, and then flip. Before you re-add the toastie to the pan, add some more butter so the other side can fry.
- Once the toasties are golden brown and crunchy on the outside, remove from the heat, chop them up and tuck in!