The creamiest vegan curry about. And it takes about 30 minutes to make.
Toasting the aubergine (WITHOUT OIL!) first gives this dish extra depth.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 30 Minutes
Tumeric - £0.85
Garam Masala - £0.85
1 Brown Onion - £0.16
400g Basmati Rice - £0.60
400ml Reduced Fat Coconut Milk - £0.71
Bunch of Coriander - £0.70
Garlic - £0.30
Knob of Ginger £0.10
Peanut Butter - £0.70
3 Aubergines - £2.00
1 Lime - £0.30
1 Pepper - £0.40
Bag of Spinach - £1.00
400g Chickpeas - £0.50
- Total Cost – £9.37 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Cube your aubergines. Add them to a pan with no oil and cook on a medium heat until they are nice and browned and shrivelled. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add a splash of oil to the pan and then throw in a chopped brown onion, a chopped red pepper, 2 finely sliced cloves of garlic. Add a small knob of grated ginger, half a teaspoon of turmeric and a teaspoon and a half of garam masala. Mix everything together.
- At this point, get your rice on (cook following pack instructions).
- Once the onions are softened, add a heaped teaspoon and a half of peanut butter. Mix it in, and then pour in your coconut milk and your chickpeas (with the chickpea water).
- Mix everything together, and then reintroduce the aubergines.
- Bubble the curry down until it is nice and thick (should be 5-6 minutes on a medium heat).
- Add your spinach and allow it to wilt.
- When the curry is ready, add a handful of chopped coriander and squeeze in the juice of a lime. Season with salt and then remove from the heat.
- Serve the curry on top of your basmati rice and tuck in!