The ideal veggie dinner party option. Such a fun dish.
The lemon zest in the balsamic onions work an absolute treat.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 45 Minutes
- Balsamic Vinegar - £1.00
- 4 Large Flat Mushrooms - £1.00
- Bag of Rocket - £1.00
- Large Ciabatta Loaf - £1.20
- Honey - £0.88
- 3 Red Onions - £0.47
- 1 Lemon - £0.35
- 1 x 225g Blocks of Halloumi - £2.00
- 3 x Red Peppers - £2.00
- Total Cost – £9.90 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Chop your peppers in to chunks. Add them to a tray. Drizzle with olive oil and se3ason with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 minutes until soft.
- Finely slice your onions. Add to a pan with a splash of oil. Cook until soft, and then add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a tablespoon of honey. Grate in the zest of a lemon. Once the onions are nice and caramelized, remove them from the heat.
- Slice up your Portobello mushrooms and fry them in a small amount of oil until shrivelled and dark.
- Slice your halloumi into thick chunks. Pour over a tablespoon of honey and a drizzle of oil. Rub it in to the pieces, and then place the halloumi on a hot griddle pan for 3 minutes on each side or until nice and soft.
- In the meantime, deal with your rocket. Add the rocket to a bowl and squeeze over the juice of a lemon and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Warm a ciabatta under the grill.
- Assembly time. Halve your ciabatta. Spoon on some onions. Then add the rocket. Then the peppers. Then the halloumi. Then your mushrooms and then top it off with any leftover rocket. Place the top halve of the ciabatta on to the sandwich, carve it up and tuck in!