Your favourite sweet and sour takeaway, done at home.
Rice vinegar is the key here – for the sourness.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 45 Minutes
- Rice Vinegar - £1.39
- Sugar - £0.40
- 80g Pineapple - £0.60
- Sweet Chilli Sauce - £0.90
- Tomato Ketchup - £0.41
- 1 Brown Onion - £0.16
- 3 Peppers - £0.95
- 3 Eggs - £0.89
- Cornflour - £0.60
- 8 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs - £3.00
- Total Cost – £9.90 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Cut your thigh fillets into bitesize pieces.
- Get two bowls. Crack 3 eggs into one and whisk them up. Add cornflour to the other. Dip your chicken in the flour, then the eggs, then the flour again. Make sure the chicken is properly coated.
- Do this with all the chicken. Heat some vegetable oil in a pan or wok. Once hot, add your chicken. Fry until golden (do this in batches if you have to). Set chicken aside, and then quickly clean the pan.
- Roughly chop up an onion and your peppers. Add to the pan with a splash of vegetable oil. Fry until beginning to soften (5-6 minutes) and then add your pineapple. Mix it in. Fry for another 2 minutes.
- Get your rice on (follow pack instructions).
- Sauce time. Into the pan or wok, add 4 tablespoons of ketchup, 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce and a tablespoon and a half of sugar. Stir everything together.
- Add a heaped teaspoon of cornflour to a glass. Add 75ml water. Mix it in. Once the cornflour has dissolved, add the slurry to the wok. Stir it in.
- At this point, reintroduce your chicken. Mix it through the saucey vegetables. Once everything is nicely coated, remove from the heat.
- Serve your sweet and sour chicken on top of your steaming hot rice. Enjoy!