An absolute worldy of a fakeaway. The sticky wasabi rice complements the rich teriyaki perfectly.
Make sure you leave the thighs skinside down for 4-5 minutes to ensure they are nice and brown.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 25 Minutes
- 8 Chicken Thighs - £3.00
- Soy Sauce - £0.76
- Mirin - £1.70
- Knob of Ginger - £0.35
- White Sugar - £0.69
- 500g Sushi Rice - £1.60
- Wasabi Paste - £1.60
- Total Cost - £9.80 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Get your sushi rice (follow pack instructions).
- De-bone your chicken thighs, keep skins on. Add thighs to a bowl, and salt the skins.
- Add thighs to a frying pan with a splash of oil, skin side down, and cook for 4-5 minutes until the skin is nice and brown. Then turn the thigh, and cook for another 4 minutes. Keep turning the thighs until they are cooked through. Leave them on a board to rest.
- Teriyaki time. Add 10 tablespoons of soy sauce, 3 tablespoons of mirin, 3 tablespoons of water and a teaspoon of ginger to a pan. Mix them all together, and then add a level tablespoon of sugar. Stir it in. Cook the sauce until it is nice and thick and then remove from the heat.
- Once the rice is ready, add a heaped teaspoon of wasabi paste to it. Mix it in.
- Slice up your chicken thighs. Add a big spoonful of the sticky rice to a place. Top with 2 thighs, pour over your thick teriyaki sauce and tuck in!