The perfect pie to celebrate National Pie Week with.
Make sure you leave the pastry out of the fridge for 5 minutes or so before rolling it out.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour 10 Minutes
- 3 Eggs - £0.86
- Bunch of Chives - £0.70
- Pint of Milk - £0.50
- 1 Brown Onion - £0.16
- 80g Lard - £0.39
- 80g Butter - £1.00
- Plain Flour - £0.55
- 320g Wyke Farms Mature Cheddar - £2.50
- 300g Button Mushrooms - £0.79
- 600g Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs - £2.50
- Total Cost – £9.95 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat the oven 180°C/356°F.
- Get your pastry ready. Into a bowl add 250g plain flour, 80g lard, 60g butter and a pinch of salt. Mix everything together until you have a breadcrumb-like consistency. Then add 80g grated cheddar. Mix that in, and then add a beaten egg.
- Mould the pastry together into a ball, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Get your filling on. Dice up your thigh meat and add to a wide pan. Brown it off and then remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. De-glaze pan with some water, and then add a finely chopped onion. Once the onion is soft, add your mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, and then reintroduce the chicken. Stir everything together and add a large handful of chives. Add 3 tablespoons of flour and mix it in. Then pour in 1 pint of milk. Stir everything together, add a large handful of grated cheddar, and then bubble down until the filling is very thick. Add more flour if necessary.
- Season filling with salt and pepper and then remove from the heat.
Back to the pastry. Take it out the fridge and let it warm for 5 minutes. Halve it, and roll our 1 half on a floured surface. If cracks appear, just squidge them together. Line a baking dish with half the pastry. Cover with baking paper and weigh down with rice or beans. Blind bake for 15 minutes.
Remove dish from the oven, discard of the baking paper and beans, and then fill the pie. Lay the second half of pastry on top. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with salt. Cut a slice in the middle, and then place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve the pie up and tuck in!