Soft aubergine. Sticky sauce. So savoury and rich. A fakeaway classic.
Add your aubergine to the wok without any oil to get it nice and toasty.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 50 Minutes
- 400g Basmati Rice - £0.60
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube - £0.50
- Chilli Flakes - £0.85
- Rice Wine Vinegar - £1.49
- 500g Pork Mince - £1.49
- 5 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce - £1.29
- Knob of Ginger - £0.17
- Garlic - £0.30
- 1 Onion - £0.11
- 2 Aubergines - £1.00
- Sesame Oil - £0.80
- Soy Sauce - £0.65
- Cornflour - £0.50
- Total Cost - £9.75 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Cube your aubergines. Add cubes to a wok without oil and cook until charred and toasty. Remove aubergine and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to the wok. Add a finely chopped onion, 2 crushed cloves of garlic and a large knob of ginger. Mix about, and once the onion has softened add your pork mince and a large pinch of chili flakes
- Break up the mince with a wooden spoon and fry until it is browned off. At this point, reintroduce your aubergine.
- Mix it in, and then, add 5 tablespoons of oyster sauce, 4 tablespoons of soy sauce and a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar. Mix everything together.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cornflour to a glass with 300ml water. Mix the flour into the water, and then pour the slurry in to the pork mix. Mix it in, and once everything starts to thicken add 300ml chicken stock.
- Bring the pork and aubergine to the boil, and then turn it down to a light simmer and cook without a lid for 15 minutes or until the aubergines are very soft.
- During this time, cook your rice.
- Serve the pork and aubergine on a plate of steaming hot rice and enjoy!