The most delicious, rich vegan broth, bulked out by the chargrilled mushrooms and noodles.
Leave the mushrooms in the pan for a while to get them nice and toasty. Also – good veggie stock is key here – I have budgeted for it so make sure you get the right stuff!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 25 Minutes
- 1 Lime - £0.35
- 1 Red Chilli - £0.60
- Big Knob of Ginger £0.20
- Bunch of Coriander - £0.70
- Bunch of Mint - £0.60
- 1 Whole Star Anise - £0.85
- Fish Sauce - £1.85
- 300g Rice Noodles - £1.50
- 2 Carrots - £0.21
- Good Quality Veggie Stock Cubes - £1.00
- Coriander Seeds - £0.85
- 250g Chestnut Mushrooms - £1.00
- Total Cost – £9.50 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Finely slice your mushrooms. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a griddle pan. Add your mushrooms in batches. Remove when nice, grilled and shrivelled.
- Get on with your broth. Add 2 good quality stock cubes to a pan. Pour in 800ml water. Mix the cubes into the stock. Then add a tablespoon of coriander seeds and 1 star anise. Add a finely chopped red chilli and a chopped up knob of ginger. Add 3 tablespoons of fish sauce and the juice of a lime. Cook the soup on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Finely peel your carrots and set aside.
- Get your rice noodles ready – add them to a bowl and cover with boiling water. After 3 minute, drain and rinse.
- Back to the broth. Give it a good stir, and then remove from the heat.
- Assembly time. Add some noodles, carrots and mushrooms to a bowl. Top with the broth, and then scatter over some fresh mint and coriander leaves. Get a spoon and get stuck in.