Vegan dreams. One for the weekend. Give it a go people!
You can really stuff this with whatever you want so if you fancy fish, go for it!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 40 Minutes
- 500g Sushi Rice - £1.00
- 2 Peppers (Not Green) - £1.10
- Soy Sauce - £0.60
- Knob of Ginger - £0.12
- 1 Lime - £0.32
- 280g Block of Tofu - £1.50
- Breadcrumbs - £0.80
- Plain Flour - £0.55
- Chickpeas - £0.40
- Bunch of Coriander - £0.70
- Bunch of Spring Onions - £0.45
- 2 Avocados - £1.30
- Nori Seaweed - £1.00
- Total Cost – £9.98 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Chop peppers in to large chunks. Add to roasting tray with a good drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes until charred and soft.
- Get on with your guac. In to a bowl add 2 avocados, 3 chopped spring onions, a bunch of chopped coriander, the juice of a lime, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mash together and set aside.
- Get your sushi rice on (follow pack instructions)
- Tofu time. Slice your tofu in to 1cm thick strips. Get three bowls out. Add flour to one, and breadcrumbs to another. In to the third, pour the water from a chickpea tin. Whisk it up until it is white and frothy. Dip your tofu in the flour, then the chickpea froth, and then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a pan of vegetable oil and cook your tofu for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the breadcrumbs are golden.
- Nearly all the elements are ready now. Last element is the dressing. In to a bowl, add 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, the juice of half a lime, a teaspoon of grated ginger and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix them together.
- Remove the peppers from the oven. In the tray, dress them with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of grated ginger.
- Assembly time. Line a cake tin with nori seaweed, brushing down the edges with your dressing. Then add a layer of rice. Top this with your roasted peppers, and then add a layer of seaweed. On top of this place your tofu. Pour some dressing over the tofu, and then spoon on your guac. Top the guac with the remainder of the rice. Smooth it out, pour on any leftover dressing and juices from the peppers, and then top it with a final layer of seaweed.
- Leave the sushi cake to chill for 15 minutes, and then flip the tin upside down, ease it off the cake, slice it up and tuck in!