The key is in the milk – makes it so rich!
Leave the sauce bubbling away for at least 90 minutes – go for 3 hours at a very very low heat if you have time.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 2 Hours
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 400ml Milk
- 750g Beef Mince
- 2 x 400g Tinned Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 Sticks of Celery
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Onions
- 450g Spaghetti
- 187ml Red Wine
- 300g Smoked Bacon
- Total Cost – £9.60 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Chop up your bacon in to bitesize pieces. Add to a wide frying pan and fry until crispy.
- Once crispy, add 2 finely chopped onion, 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic, 3 finely chopped celery sticks, 2 finely chopped carrots.
- Fry until soft, and then add your beef mince. Break it up with a spoon. Fry until brown, and then pour in 400ml whole milk and 187ml red wine. Reduce down for a minute on a high heat, and then add your tinned tomatoes.
- Season well with pepper, add 3 bay leaves, bring to the boil, and then reduce to a low simmer and cover for 90 minutes.
- Check it ever 20 minutes or so – if it is catching on the pan, just add a splash of water.
- After 90 minutes, remove the lid. Season well with salt, and then remove from the heat and leave to chill with a lid on for 15 minutes.
- In this time, get your pasta on.
- Toss your pasta through the bolognaise, and serve it up. Grate lots of parmesan over the top and tuck in!