The salad to end all salads. The halloumi croutons bring the heat.
Leave the halloumi cooking until the breadcrumbs are a deep brown.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour Hours
- 1 Lemon - £0.35
- Garlic - £0.30
- Bunch of Basil - £0.70
- 250g Cherry Tomatoes - £0.40
- 2 Peppers - £0.90
- Breadcrumbs - £0.80
- 225g Halloumi - £1.50
- 2 Eggs - £0.20
- Plain Flour - £0.55
- Bag of Rocket - £1.00
- 3 Courgettes - £1.00
- 50g Parmesan - £1.00
- 50g Pine Nuts - £1.25
- Total Cost – £9.95 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat the oven 180°C/356°F.
- Cut your peppers in to chunks. Add to a roasting tray with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes or until charred and soft.
- Pesto time. Into a blender add a handful of basil leaves, the juice of a lemon, 1 clove of garlic, 30g toasted pine nuts and 50g parmesan. Add 5 tablespoons of olive oil and blend until smooth.
- Courgette time. Cut your courgettes into thin strips. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Add to a hot griddle pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Halloumi time. Cut your halloumi in to small cubes. Get three bowls out. Add flour to one, 2 eggs to another (whisk them up) and breadcrumbs to the third. Dip your halloumi in the flour, then the eggs, then the breadcrumbs.
- Get a pan on the heat. Fill it up 2cm high with vegetable oil. Heat the oil, and then add the croutons to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove croutons from the heat and place them on some kitchen roll.
- Halve your cherry tomatoes.
- Add all of your ingredients, along with a bag of rocket and any leftover pine nuts, to a large salad bowl. Pour over your pesto dressing, toss it all together and serve it up.