Mac and cheese with a difference. You’ve gotta give it a go.
A squeeze of lemon juice at the end really gives it the fresh hit it needs before munching!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 45 Minutes
- Garlic - £0.30
- 50g Pine Nuts - £2.00
- Plain Flour - £0.35
- 500g Macaroni - £0.56
- 300g Cheddar - £2.00
- 100g Parmesan - £2.00
- Garlic - £0.30
- 1 Lemon - £0.35
- Bunch of Mint - £0.70
- Bunch of Basil - £0.70
- 200g Spinach - £1.00
- Total Cost – £9.95 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Wilt 200g spinach in a frying pan.
- Toast 50g pines nuts in a frying pan.
- Get your macaroni cooking in some boiling water.
- Into a blender, add a handful of basil, a handful of mint, 1 and a half garlic gloves, the zest and juice of a lemon, 90g parmesan, your toasted pine nuts and your wilted spinach. Add a splash of olive oil, a splash of water a good grinding of pepper and blitz until you have a smooth green pesto.
- Get a large frying pan on the heat. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon and a half of flour. Whisk the flour into the oil. Once then are combined, start add your pesto bit by bit, making sure it is all mixed in. Once the pesto is in, rinse the blender out with a small cup of water and pour into the pan.
- Stir everything together, and, once the pesto sauce is hot, add 300g cheddar. Stir it in, and once it has melted add your macaroni. Stir it all together. Top the macaroni with any your parmesan and cheddar, and then place the pan under the grill for 8-10 minutes or until golden and bubbling. If your pan isn’t oven compatible, simply transfer the macaroni into a baking dish, top it with cheese and add that to the oven.
- Serve the mac and cheese with a good squeeze of lemon. Really lifts it!