The herbs. The peas. The bacon. It’s a match made in food heaven.
Make sure you beat in a good knob of butter at the end to make it shine.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 40 Minutes
- Garlic - £0.30
- 1 Brown Onion - £0.10
- Butter - £1.60
- 200g Peas - £0.80
- 125g Asparagus - £1.70
- 100g Parmesan - £2.00
- 400g Arborio Rice - £1.00
- Bunch of Mint - £0.70
- Bunch of Tarragon - £0.70
- 200g Pancetta (cut into chunks) - £1.65
- Total Cost – £9.85 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Finely chop your garlic and onion.
- Get a large pan on the heat. Add your pancetta pieces. Fry until crisp. Remove pancetta and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry in the bacon fat until soft. Once soft, add your garlic. Stir it in, and then pour in your rice. Coat it in the fat, and then keep adding splashes of chicken stock, bit by bit. Beat the rice with a wooden spoon to release the starch.
- Keep adding stock and beating. After about 10 minutes, chop up your asparagus, place it in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Add your peas to another bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Keep beating your risotto. Once the rice is almost done, add your peas and asparagus, and a large handful of chopped mint and tarragon. Stir it in.
- Add a knob of butter, 70g of grated parmesan and mix everything together. Serve while hot and enjoy!