This one pot supper is so so simple. Absolutely perfect for meal prep.
Keep checking the rice throughout to make sure it isn’t sticking to the pan. If the water is all absorbed and the rice isn't quite cooked yet, just add some more water!
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 40 Minutes
- 1 Carrot (peeled, and chopped into matchsticks) - £0.04
- Soy Sauce - £0.65
- 350g Brown Rice - £1.00
- Spring Onions - £0.55
- 8 Shiitake Mushrooms - £1.35
- 600g Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs - £3.50
- 2 Sachets Miso Soup Paste - £1.58
- Garlic - £0.30
- Knob of Ginger - £0.27
- Total Cost – £9.24 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Dice up your chicken thigh meat. Add to a big pan on a medium heat and fry until beginning to brown (5 minutes). Then add your shiitake mushrooms. Mix them together, and then add 1 grated clove of garlic and a grated knob of ginger and your carrots.
- Mix everything together, and then add 2 sachets of miso paste and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. Mix it in, and then add 350g rinsed brown rice. Stir it in, and then pour in 700ml boiling water.
- Bring the pilaf to the boil, then turn down the heat to a low simmer, and cover with a lid for 15 minutes or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the lid and add a handful of chopped spring onion. Mix it in, and then serve the pilaf while nice and hot.
- Any leftovers you have will be absolutely delicious in a packed lunch over the next few days!