Thought you could only get it at the local Chinese? Wrong. This dish is so easy to make. And the sesame really makes it flyyyyyy.
Drizzle over a drop more sesame oil at the end for an extra nutty hit.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 35 Minutes
- Red Chillies - £0.60
- Runny Honey - £0.99
- 440g Basmati Rice - £0.90
- Sesame Oil - £1.60
- Soy Sauce - £1.00
- Cornflour - £0.75
- Knob of Ginger - £0.27
- Garlic - £0.30
- 1 Red Pepper - £0.52
- 1 Green Pepper - £0.52
- 400g Beef Steaks - £2.53
- Total Cost - £9.98 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Cut your beef into strips. Place it in a bowl. Add three teaspoons of sesame oil and two tablespoons of soy sauce. Mix together, and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Once marinated, add 3 tablespoons of cornflour to the beef, and mix it in until each strip is coated.
- In a wok add a very big glug of vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, throw in your beef. Do this is batches if you have a small wok. You want each strip to be full in contact with the oil – to ensure extra crispiness.
- Once your beef is brown and crispy, remove from the heat and set aside on some kitchen paper.
- Time to get your rice on. In a pan, add 1 part rice to 2 parts water, and allow to bubble down until the water has been fully absorbed. This will ensure fluffy, perfectly cooked rice.
- Remove the oil from the wok, and then place it back on the heat, add a tablespoon of sesame oil. Throw in your sliced peppers. Allow to soften for 3-4 minutes, and then add the sliced ginger, 3 cloves of sliced garlic, two tablespoons of soy sauce and a sliced red chilli.
- Cook for 3 more minutes and then add the crispy beef to the wok. Mix everything together, and then add a heaped tablespoon of runny honey. Mix it in, add a tablespoon more soy sauce, and a small glass cornflour slurry (mix a heaped teaspoon of cornflour in a small glass of water until it has dissolved to make the slurry).
- Mix everything together, cook for 1 more minute and then remove from the heat.
- Serve the beef on top the basmati rice.