Cheekier than Nandos. Fresher than Nandos. Healthier than Nandos. Cheaper than Nandos. What more do you want?
The sauce is sublime. Follow it to the letter.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 1 Chicken - £3.00
- Bay Leaves - £0.70
- Dried Oregano - £0.70
- Red Chillies - £0.60
- Red Wine Vinegar - £0.80
- 2 Lemons - £0.70
- Garlic - £0.30
- 1 Red Onion - £0.21
- 2 Red Peppers - £0.70
- 400g Black Beans - £0.70
- Basmati Rice - £0.79
- Smoked Paprika - £0.75
- Total Cost - £9.95 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F
- Place chicken in a baking tray. Cover with olive oil. Add two teaspoons of smoked paprika and a teaspoon of dried oregano. Rub it in. Place chicken in over for 30 minutes.
- Time to start prepping the sauce. Cut 2 peppers and 1 red onion into chunks and add to a baking tray. Cut a lemon in half. Add the lemon halves, face side down, and drizzle olive oil over everything. Place the tray in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken, and baste it in the juices. Place it back in the oven for anther 30 minutes.
- When the vegetables and lemon are charred and soft, remove from oven. Place the onion and the peppers into a blender. Squeeze out the juice from the roasted lemons. Add three red chillies. Then, add 3 cloves of grated garlic, the zest and juice of a fresh lemon, 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika, two teaspoons of dried oregano, a tablespoon and a half of red wine vinegar, a tablespoon of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Blitz until you have a smooth orange sauce.
- Pour the sauce into a frying pan, and add two bay leaves. Allow the sauce to gently bubble away for a couple of minutes so the bay can infuse.
- While the sauce is getting on, take you chicken out the oven. Baste it in the juices, and then remove from the tray. Hack it up roughly.
- Serve the chicken on a bed of basmati rice and black beans, and pour your sauce over the top. Enjoy mob. This one is a winner.