Cooking Time (Includes Preparation Time): 30 Minutes
- 2 x 280g Pack of Tofoo - £4.00
- Knob of ginger - £0.27
- Sesame Oil - £1.60
- Cornflour - £0.75
- Soy Sauce - £1.00
- Spring Onions - £0.49
- Basmati Rice - £0.59
- Red Chillies - £0.60
- Garlic - £0.30
Total Cost: £9.60
- Take your Tofoo blocks and chop them up into little cubes. Dab cubes with kitchen roll to remove the excess moisture.
- Place the Tofoo cubes into a bowl, and add 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, one heaped tablespoon of grated ginger, a teaspoon of grated garlic, and a teaspoon of sesame oil. Gentle mix together. Cover the bowl, place it in the fridge and leave to marinade for 15 minutes.
- Remove Tofoo from the fridge. Pour a good helping of cornflour into a bowl, and then, one by one, roll each Tofoo cube in the cornflour so they are all coated on all sides. By the end, they should all have a gummy layer of cornflour on each side.
- Get your rice on at this point. Pour 1 part rice to 2 parts boiling water into a pan and cook on a medium heat until the rice has absorbed all the water.
- Frying time. Heat a large frying pan and pour in a good glug vegetable oil. Place your Tofoo cubes in the pan. On a medium heat, each cube will need about 3-4 minutes on each side. Just keep turning them until all sides are golden.
- Once golden on all sides, remove the cubes from the heat and set them on a some kitchen roll so any excess oil is soaked up.
- Sauce time. Place a pan on the heat and pour in the leftover marinade. Add 1 more tablespoon of soy sauce, a chopped red chilli, 3 chopped spring onions, a teaspoon of grated ginger and a glass of water. As the sauce is bubbling, mix one teaspoon of cornflour in with a glass of water until it is dissolved. Then pour this water into the sauce. Mix it in, and remove the sauce from the heat when it is thick and sticky.
- Time to serve up. In a bowl, spoon in some rice, then lots of the crispy Tofoo, and pour over some of the sticky sauce. Garnish with some chopped spring onions and tuck in!