A rich, creamy, purple risotto.
Ideal for the beetroot lovers and the veggies.
More than enough for seconds, so make sure the mob are hungry.
Add stock to risotto gradually. Don’t worry, the rice will become soft, you just have to be patient.
We budgeted this recipe so you have enough to go for the ungrated block of parmesan, not the pre-grated stuff. The ungrated is better, so go for it!
COOKING TIME (INCLUDES PREPARATION TIME): 50 MINUTES
- 3 Garlic Cloves - £0.30
- 2 Brown Onions - £0.37
- 100g Parmesan - £2.00
- 7 Beetroots - £3.50
- 500g Arborio Rice - £1.10
- 1 Pack Butter - £0.85
- Total Cost: £7.99 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Chop beetroot into small cubes and boil until soft (20 Minutes).
- When soft, drain, and save cooking water.
- Chop 2 onions and 3 cloves of garlic, and add into a deep-set pan with olive oil. Allow to soften, then add rice.
- Coat rice in the oil, then add your first splash of beetroot stock. Beat the rice and mix hard, so release the starch. Once the rice has absorbed the first splash, add more.
- Continue this process until the risotto rice is soft.
- When soft, throw in a big know of butter, and mix in the chopped beetroot. Take off the heat and instantly add parmesan. Mix hard until parmesan has melted into the rice.
- Serve with a drizzle of oil on top and the last of the parmesan.