Sticky. Auberginey. Misoey. Soyey. What is not to love?
Make sure you marinate the aubergines for the full 15 minutes to ensure best flavour.
COOKING TIME (INCLUDES PREPARATION TIME): 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
- 500g Basmati Rice - £0.89
- 250ml Toasted Sesame Oil - £1.60
- 1 Jar Runny Honey - £0.99
- Itsu Miso Soup Paste (3 Sachets) - £2.00
- 1 Bunch Spring Onions - £0.49
- 4 Aubergines - £2.80
- Total Cost – £9.62 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/356ºF.
- Put 4 tablespoons of miso paste, 4 tablespoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil into a bowl. Add a small cup of warm water so the mixture is loose, and mix together.
- Halve your aubergines length wise. Score the aubergine flesh, so you end up with diamond cuts across it. (See video)
- Pour marinate into a baking tray and place aubergines on top, flesh side down. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Then, cover baking tray with tin foil, and place into the oven for 45 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the end, add 1 part rice and two parts boiling water to a pan. Allow this to boil down until the rice has absorbed the water. This method should ensure fluffy, steamy rice.
- Remove aubergines from oven and place on top of the rice.
- Serve with a scattering of chopped spring onions on top.
- N.B. If the aubergines aren't sticky at the end of the stated cooking time (different ovens cook at different speeds), just pour out any excess liquid in the tray and place back into the oven, without foil, for 5-10 minutes. The marinate will then go sticky on the underside of the aubergines.
Share With The Mob: