A perfect, delicious, oozy risotto. The ultimate comfort dish.
Top it off with some grilled chestnut mushrooms – it works a treat.
COOKING TIME (INCLUDES PREPARATION TIME): 50 MINUTES
- Celery - £0.55
- Vegetable Stock Cubes - £0.30
- Salted Butter - £1.09
- Bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley - £0.70
- 100g of Parmesan - £2.00
- 40g Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 250g Chestnut Mushrooms - £1.00
- 1 Brown Onion - £0.16
- 500g Risotto Rice (Arborio or Carnaroli) - £1.10
- Total Cost – £9.89 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Place your porcini mushrooms in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow the mushrooms to soften. You will use the boiling water as stock.
- While the porcini mushrooms are softening, finely chop 3 celery sticks and 1 onion. As finely as you can.
- Put the vegetables in a deep pan, with a splash of olive oil, and fry gently until they begin to soften.
- At this point, pour in 440g of risotto rice. Coat the rice in the oil and vegetables, and leave to fry for 30 more seconds.
- Remove the porcini mushrooms from the water. You should be left with a delicious, dark porcini stock. This won’t be enough for the risotto, though. So in another jug, add a vegetable stock cube to some boiling water.
- Once the rice has been in the pan with the celery and onion for 1 minute, start adding stock. This is a GRADUAL process, so go slowly. Add a ladle of stock. Once it is absorbed, add more. Keep bashing the rice about with a wooden spoon to release the starch.
- Keep this process going until the rice is al dente (almost cooked). At this point, add the porcini mushrooms, mix everything together, and place a lid on the pan. Remove from the heat and allow to rest.
- While the risotto rests, slice your chestnut mushrooms and put in a griddle pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until the mushrooms are dehydrated and brown. Remove them from the heat.
- Final step! Add a big knob of butter to the risotto and mix it in. Add ¾ of your grated parmesan, a large handful of chopped parsley and mix it in. To finish, scatter over your leftover parsley leaves, parmesan and a drizzle of olive. Buon Appetito!
Share With The Mob: