Carbonara done properly. No f**king cream!
Good ingredients are key here. Make sure you get smoked streaky bacon. NOT pancetta. Pancetta is too thin. Get proper parmesan too. In a block. Not pre-shaved. And the eggs. Get big ones. I have budgeted to make sure you can do this and still keep it under £10!
COOKING TIME (INCLUDES PREPARATION TIME): 20 MINUTES
- 200g Block of Parmesan - £2.00
- 300g Smoked Streaky Bacon - £2.00
- Garlic - £0.30
- 6 Eggs - £1.00
- 500g Linguine - £0.59
- Total Cost – £6.59 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Take a bowl, and grate in ¾ of your parmesan. Then add 6 egg yolks, and a very, very generous amount of black pepper, 4 or 5 pinches of it. A good Carbonara is meant to be peppery – hence the name, CARBONara.
- Whisk everything together and set aside.
- Chop your bacon into little bits, and add to a frying pan.
- As they begin to start browning, add your linguine to a pan of boiling water. Salt the boiling water – Pasta water is meant to be almost as salty as the sea!
- Once the bacon is crisp, add 2 cloves of sliced garlic.
- Allow these to soften – if the garlic or bacon looks like it is catching on a pan, add small spoons of the starchy pasta water.
- When the pasta is 1 minute before being ready – so still quite al dente, take out 5 or 6 ladles of the pasta water and pour it into a bowl. Set this bowl aside.
- Drain the pasta, and the pour the pasta into the pan with the bacon and the garlic. Add a couple ladles of the pasta water, and cooking everything together over a medium heat. Once the water has dissolved and the pasta is nice and silky, take everything off the heat.
- Allow to cool down for 1 minute, and then add the egg and parmesan mixture, and another ladle of the water. Mix everything together. If it looks too thick, add a bit more water. It should be silky smooth!
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan and twist or two more of black pepper!