Spicy chicken in warm pittas, with a fresh tomato salsa and the perfect cooling tzatziki.
It couldn’t be easier to make this Greek classic. And it’s all for under a tenner. What’s not to love?
Make sure you give your grated a cucumber a good squeeze before adding to the yoghurt. This way, you won’t have a watery tzatziki.
COOKING TIME (INCLUDES PREPARATION TIME): 45 MINUTES
- Red Chillies - £0.60
- Iceberg Lettuce - £0.40
- Dried Oregano - £0.70
- Tomatoes - £1.00
- Mint - £0.70
- 2 Lemons - £0.70
- 1 Cucumber - £0.45
- Yeo Valley Yoghurt - £1.50
- Pittas - £0.50
- Garlic - £0.30
- 8 Chicken Thighs - £3.00
- Total Cost: £9.85 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Dice chicken into small chunks. Add to bowl. Grate 3 cloves of garlic and 1 red chilli into the bowl. Add three teaspoons of oregano. Add the zest of one lemon. Add 3 tablespoons of yoghurt. Add salt and pepper. Rub together and cover with cling film. Leave in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Tzatziki time. Pour rest of yoghurt into another bowl. Add a small bunch of finely chopped mint, the juice of one lemon, and one grated cucumber. Season well and mix it all together.
- Tomato salsa. Finely chop 5 tomatoes. Add to bowl with 2 or 3 teaspoons of oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Finely chop your lettuce.
- Put a griddle pan on a medium to high heat. Once it is hot, add your chicken. It needs 3 minutes on each side.
- Warm some pittas.
- Assemble to gyros and tuck in.