A moussaka without the faff of a béchamel sauce. This is so quick and easy.
The lemon zest works a charm in the topping, so don't skip this stage!
COOKING TIME (INCLUDES PREPARATION TIME): 40 MINUTES
- 1 Tin Cirio Chopped Tomatoes - £0.50
- Bunch of Parsley - £0.70
- 2 Brown Onions - £0.20
- Garlic - £0.30
- 6 Eggs - £0.55
- Block of Feta - £0.90
- 250g Ricotta - £1.00
- 1 Lemon - £0.30
- Cinnamon - £0.85
- 500g Lamb Mince - £3.00
- 2 Aubergines - £1.00
- Dried Oregano - £0.70
- Total Cost - £10.00 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Finely slice 2 aubergines length ways. Place on a rack, cover in salt, pepper and olive oil, and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, add a crumbled block of feta, 250g of ricotta, the zest of a lemon, an egg, and season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix everything together and set aside for later.
- Finely chop two onions and two cloves of garlic. Fry in a large sauce pan until soft, and then add your lamb mince. Brown it off, and then add a teaspoon of cinnamon, and two teaspoons of dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper, and then add a large handful of chopped parsley.
- Mix together, and then add a tin of Cirio Chopped Tomatoes. Mix, and then cook over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Layer time. Into a baking dish, spoon in half your lamb mixture. Then cover it with half your slices of cooked aubergine. Cover the aubergine with the other half of the lamb mix, and then cover this with your remaining aubergines. Then cover with your ricotta mix, and place under a hot grill for ten minutes, or until the ricotta mix starts to get little burnt marks over it.
- Remove from the oven, slice up and enjoy!
Share With The Mob: