The best way to use up the sprouts. Your mob will go crazy for this one.
Make sure you add lots of the pasta water to the sauce in order to make it nice and silky.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 20 Minutes
- 200g Block of Parmesan - £2.00
- 300g Smoked Streaky Bacon - £2.00
- Garlic - £0.30
- 6 Eggs - £1.00
- 500g Brussel Sprouts - £1.00
- 500g Linguini - £0.59
- 187ml White Wine - £1.35
- Total Cost – £8.94 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Take a bowl, and grate in ¾ of your parmesan. Then add 6 egg yolks, and a very, very generous amount of black pepper, 4 or 5 pinches of it. A good Carbonara is meant to be peppery – hence the name, CARBONara.
- Whisk everything together and set aside.
- Finely chop your brussel sprouts and your bacon bacon. Add the bacon chunks to the frying pan. Once they start crisping up, add your brussels. Pour in your white wine, and keep stirring the sauce until the wine has dissolved and the brussels start to brown.
- Add your linguine to a pan of boiling water. Salt the boiling water – Pasta water is meant to be almost as salty as the sea!
- Once the bacon is crisp and the sprout are nicely wilted, add 2 cloves of sliced garlic.
- Allow these to soften – if the garlic or brussels looks like they are catching on a pan, add small spoons of the starchy pasta water.
- When the pasta is 1 minute before being ready – so still quite al dente, take out 5 or 6 ladles of the pasta water and pour it into a bowl. Set this bowl aside.
- Drain the pasta, and the pour the pasta into the pan with the brussels, bacon and the garlic. Add a couple ladles of the pasta water, and cooking everything together over a medium heat. Once the water has dissolved and the pasta is nice and silky, take everything off the heat.
- Allow to cool down for 1 minute, and then add the egg and parmesan mixture, and another ladle of the water. Mix everything together. If it looks too thick, add a bit more water. It should be silky smooth!
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan and twist or two more of black pepper!