The number 1 brunch option. Crispy fritters and the perfect poached eggs.
Once you have added the fritter to the pan, don’t move it about. Let it sit there to get nice and crispy.
Cooking Time (includes preparation time): 15 Minutes
- Bunch of Spring Onions - £0.55
- Crushed Chillies - £0.85
- Sesame Oil - £1.60
- 4 Courgettes - £1.60
- Chinese 5 Spice - £0.85
- 8 Eggs - £1.50
- Plain Flour - £0.45
- Cornflour - £0.25
- Total Cost - £8.15 - This covers absolutely everything. All we assume you have in your kitchen beforehand is SALT, PEPPER AND OLIVE OIL.
- Grate 4 courgettes. Squeeze the gratings to get rid of excess moisture, and then pat them down with kitchen roll. Add them to a bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of sesame oil, a teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice, 3 chopped spring onions, a teaspoon of chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Add a heaped tablespoon and a half of cornflour, a heaped tablespoon and a half of plain flour and an egg.
- Mix everything together with your hands.
- Heat a pan and pour in some vegetable oil. When it is hot, add a heaped tablespoon of the courgette mix. Flatten it out and cook for 3-4 minutes on one side. Once crisp, flip the fritter.
- In the meantime, get your poached eggs on. Boil some water lightly. Whisk the water to create a whirlpool, and then add your egg to the edge of the whirl. It should turn the whites around the yolk and leave you with the perfect poached egg. It needs about 3-4 minutes to be perfect.
- Stack up your fritters, top with the poached eggs. Add a small drop of sesame oil and tuck in!